Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Acid

I do like a good self-help quote. OK, I'm lying, I can't stand self-help quotes, but I was enjoying reading an article on rebuilding your life, and generally being awesome, when I came across this sentence:
Look how beautiful Mark Twain talks about this: “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”
Firstly it alerted my "dubious quote" senses. I'm always doubtful that these internet quotes have the correct attribution. So I scuttled off to worry about that. I can't find a reliable source pinning it down to Mark Twain, and elsewhere it is credited to Seneca.

But perhaps more importantly, it's rubbish. If you're storing acid in a glass bottle then the bottle is fine. It's pretty much unconcerned about being full of acid, and can stay that way for years. If you take that bottle of acid and pour it over, let's say, your hand*, then it will do considerable harm.** So the inspiring quote makes no sense at all. If I'm going to rebuild my life then I would like to base it on somewhat firmer foundations than quotes like these.

*WARNING: Do not do this.

**The extent of the harm will depend on the strength of the acid. You're probably OK with citric acid, but stay away from hydrochloric.

No comments: